Saturday, January 15, 2011

Going forward

So I've finally been able to write the villain scene. It took me a while to find his voice and I'm still figuring things out but I've written several pages so far.  I've also furthered my lovers acquaintance and they are on their way to being partners and future lovers.  I hate to say it, but I procrastinated way too long on this.  I stopped looking at a blank screen and picked up a pen and just wrote.  Editing came easily and then before I knew it I was done.  I'm going to get through this first draft if it kills me.  I believe so much in this book and I know I can get published with it.  When that day comes I will be so proud, I think it will be my ultimate achievement outside of having children.  


Writing the villain.  Like most of my characters I didn't want him to be someone I'd figured out.  There are wells and oceans of depth in a good villain so there lies the challenge. I wanted him to be scary, really scary.  Sadistic even.  I think I've achieved some of that along with a healthy dose of madness.  


Another part I'm developing is the relationship between my two main characters. Yes, the passion and desire is already there.  But then, as a writer, I need to build more substantial parts of their relationship that can truly bind them.  Can they laugh together?  Can they trust each other and why?  Can they be themselves with one another?  All of these things I need to find a way to manifest as I go along.  Hot smoldering looks and passionate interludes can only take you so far.  I know as a reader I enjoy the cute moments as much if not more than the passion filled moments of a book.  The times when characters are laughing and getting emotionally close are just as important as physical closeness.  SO, right now that's the challenge.  I know I will of course tweak as I go along and the second draft will no doubt further put things into place, but for now it's a road untraveled.  


Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment