Friday, January 15, 2010

The Magic Number

So, I'm still pretty early into my book, getting ready to close out the first act of the novel and I find myself thinking about the possible sequels.  I know that's putting the horse before the cart but I can't seem to help myself.  I was looking over some neighborhoods in the San Francisco recently, which is where my story takes place, and I discovered an Island that might be perfect setting for one of my side characters in "Fall of the Raven".  

I have to stop and really think about how I write these possible future leading ladies as I want to preserve continuity of character.  It seems the more research I do, the more ideas seem to flow until my mind is racing with possiblities at two o'clock in the morning.  I have to be more careful not to let myself get bogged down.  I need move forward with my novel, keeping ideas in mind however, but not be consumed by them.  Has anyone else had this experience?  What has worked for you?  

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled at what my research is uncovering but I want to be on chapter twenty already instead of chapter 8.  I have a theory though.  I think once I reach chapter 10 this train will be a non-stop from then on.  Still, I must...keep....writing.  Yes, 10 is my magic number.     
 

No comments:

Post a Comment